Health Center Nurse – Binghamton
Full time in our Binghamton medical center. No working holidays, no on-call hours and no late evenings. Fully paid individual health and dental insurance, two weeks vacation accrued from date of employment.
The Health Center Nurse is responsible for assisting the clinicians in the delivery of health care and providing nursing care and counseling for medical center patients following established standards and practices.
Current license to practice as a registered professional nurse or licensed practical nurse in NYS. Experience in ob-gyn nursing desirable. A positive demeanor with the ability to be tactful, sensitive and empathetic to all patients and/or clients. Commitment to the mission of Family Planning. Must have a contact phone number. Access to reliable transportation to travel in all counties. Physically able to perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Maintains organized, clean, efficient and confidential work area; Keeps patients’ medical records accurate, and up-to-date.
- Knowledge of and ability to use medical equipment and instruments to perform patient care.
- Prepares exam rooms for use, checks equipment and supplies, restocking as necessary. Sanitizes exam table and equipment between patients as needed and at the end of the day.
- Check emergency box monthly as assigned.
- Performs CLIA waived labs (e.g. urine dip, hemoglobin, pregnancy testing, HIV testing, stool guaiac cards) Collects specimens for laboratory send out, proficient in phlebotomy procedure, prepares requisitions and completes lab log
- Maintains quality control standards by performing proficiency testing quarterly and quality controls daily, weekly, and monthly.
- Sterilizes instruments, performs autoclave cleaning
- Follows infection control guidelines and ensures adherence to OSHA and CLIA protocols.
- Obtains appropriate authorizations for routine care, methods, and procedures
- Takes patients initial and interim history, as well as family and social history
- Measures and records patients’ vital signs, such as height, weight, temperature, blood pressure, and pulse.Knowledgeable about all birth control methods and provides contraceptive counseling.
- Provides prescribed contraceptive and pharmaceutical supplies and instructions
- Provide all options counseling, information, and support for a pregnant woman who is considering choices regarding the continuation of her pregnancy.
- HIV counseling, testing and the provision of test results.
- Provides nursing care and counseling in an unbiased, non-judgmental, non-coercive manner
- Keeps current on Medical Emergency Procedures
- Provides excellent customer service in a courteous, professional manner.
- Assists clinician during exams as needed.
- Follows up on patient referrals per protocol
- Performs birth control method checks and refers patient to clinician for further evaluation as necessary.
- Notifies patients with abnormal pap smears, consulting with MLP as appropriate.
- Reviews lab results and document into the EMR in a timely manner; refers all abnormal results to the MLP or clinic physician.
- Participates in continuing education and in-service training to further own professional development
- Participates in the development of Family Planning’s policies and protocols as assigned.
- Travel between Family Planning’s health centers and to meetings, conferences and training as required.
- Cover co-workers’ planned and unplanned time away from the office.
- Works collaboratively with other staff members in achieving the agency’s goals and objectives
- Participates in Family Planning’s Quality Risk Management activities and chart audits as assigned
- Knowledgeable about Title X funding and the billing/coding of clients.
- Participates in yearly CPR training/re-certification and any other re-certification as required for licensure.
This is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, efforts or working conditions associated with this position. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job qualifications of the current job, management reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or different tasks be performed.
Email resume and cover letter to Shirley Hadley, Director of Human Resources, at: firstname.lastname@example.org